Lead

May 30 08 9:38 PM

Tags : :

Thought I'd share with you some pics as we're building our new gun show room in my shop. One of my employees is one heck of a carpenter, so he's to get the credit for this!
-Scheduled to be ready for grand opening on May 2.

Just getting started. Had to insulate the walls some, and then block the windows carefully. Room is in second floor towards busy street, so no real threath in that way anyways.

Point of no return! Tore down a wall here. What have we gotten into? Will we pull it off??!

Framework for the gun racks.

Some testing for measures...

There's a plan with all this, somewhere. Guys, have you seen the plans anywhere??!

Roof is installed, with 20 downlights.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 31 08 4:45 AM

The concrete wall had a large slide door opening which we took down. There was a fixed cabinett behind it, so it produced a trailerload of garbage just that part alone!

Recoil is fun!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 31 08 10:02 AM

Sir, :Smiley Faces, hahaha. {I've follow along at Facebook} hahaha

what is the tongue and groove material.[ceiling} It is shining brightly. Insulation appears  to be 'fiberglass', what rating if any; do you use. i.e. just what-ever at the store attitude? or agains't a ''building code"
Are the perimter walls concrete? with the insulation 'bats' against the block walls?
it appears from the photo, your studs are greater than ''our'' 16" center requirements? {building code}

when finishedSmiley Faces {don't stop the teasing growth picture sets} could we see the entirety with picts from many different anglesSmiley Faces

Craig; 'He will cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you will find refuge.' (Psalm 91:4)

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 31 08 3:24 PM

Craig, I was a general contractor for years and did a lot of  construction under the UBC (Uniform Building Code), which was the standard for most state and local building codes in the western part of the country at the time.  According to the UBC, structurally you could build most homes or commercial buildings with 2x4 studs spaced 24 inches apart, as long as they were one or two story buildings.  No one did, though.  The 16 inches you mention was the standard spacing for exterior walls, interior partitions, ceiling joists and roof rafters anyway (although trusses were usually 24" on center).

Partly that's just for convenience -- because plywood, drywall and other sheathing materials come 48" wide.  Being able to span four framing members with a full sheet  instead of three gives more nailing for sheer strength.  It also provides more fastening points, for everything from electrical outlets to cabinets.  Also, it usually results in less waste.  For example, say the length of a particular wall is 12 feet and three inches.  With 24" spacing, you'd wind up with a cut-off 21" wide -- and probably toss it.  With 16" frame spacing you'll be able to use most of that 21" piece, and only throw away a 5" strip.

Another benefit is the fudge factor 16" on center provides for structural strength.  With studs 16" on center, there's a lot less worry about the wall not being strong enough if some idiot plumber or electrician gets carried away with his Sawzall and drills.

By the way:  since I've gotten out of the business, the standard size for exterior wall framing has changed from 2z4's to 2x6's. That isn't because it makes the walls stronger (although it obviously does), but because it makes more room for insulation.

The first rule of gunfighting is, "have a gun." --Mark Moritz

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jun 3 08 7:18 PM

A lot of oak in the front panels (40 mm thick...)

Carpet is almost done.

Prettiest gun racks in Norway!!

All the writing on the mirrors are just for placing the guns when they arrive next week. Some moldings still remain but will be done ready on Tuesday.

My website:   TURUT AS - Hamar (Norway)

Recoil is fun!

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 3 08 7:20 PM

What finish have you been using on the gun racks, 300rum?

-troy2000

The red stuff? It's some sort of velvet to save the guns from schratches.

Recoil is fun!

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Jun 3 08 7:22 PM

Craig, I was a general contractor for years and did a lot of  construction under the UBC (Uniform Building Code), which was the standard for most state and local building codes in the western part of the country at the time.  According to the UBC, structurally you could build most homes or commercial buildings with 2x4 studs spaced 24 inches apart, as long as they were one or two story buildings.  No one did, though.  The 16 inches you mention was the standard spacing for exterior walls, interior partitions, ceiling joists and roof rafters anyway (although trusses were usually 24" on center).
 Partly that's just for convenience -- because plywood, drywall and other sheathing materials come 48" wide.  Being able to span four framing members with a full sheet  instead of three gives more nailing for sheer strength.  It also provides more fastening points, for everything from electrical outlets to cabinets.  Also, it usually results in less waste.  For example, say the length of a particular wall is 12 feet and three inches.  With 24" spacing, you'd wind up with a cut-off 21" wide -- and probably toss it.  With 16" frame spacing you'll be able to use most of that 21" piece, and only throw away a 5" strip.
Another benefit is the fudge factor 16" on center provides for structural strength.  With studs 16" on center, there's a lot less worry about the wall not being strong enough if some idiot plumber or electrician gets carried away with his Sawzall and drills.
By the way:  since I've gotten out of the business, the standard size for exterior wall framing has changed from 2z4's to 2x6's. That isn't because it makes the walls stronger (although it obviously does), but because it makes more room for insulation.

-troy2000

Standard insulation for new buildings in Norway (homes etc) is 8 inches in walls and 10 inches in floors and roof. Most houses are built with 16 inches of insulation in the roof though. This regards wooden houses. Not sure about brick houses as they are very uncommon here, but same values I'd say.

Recoil is fun!

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jun 3 08 10:46 PM

Sir, I've been in many Firearm Stores, this one is the nicest. Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing the building of a ''Gun Room",  The individual firearm holders? have puzzled me, in their application.

I go to your site often. hahaha; learning the language.:) hahaha;

When ''set up'', if you would:, more Pictures.

Craig; 'He will cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you will find refuge.' (Psalm 91:4)

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jun 12 08 1:40 AM

What a toy store you have there.

I wish I could browse it in person -- even though I doubt I could afford most of what you have displayed, without giving up too much somewhere else in my life.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jun 12 08 5:38 PM

What a toy store you have there.
I wish I could browse it in person -- even though I doubt I could afford most of what you have displayed, without giving up too much somewhere else in my life.

-troy2000

Nah, you're wrong there Troy. OK, some of the fine stuff on the walls are creapy expensive. They pull in a lot of people just wanting to see them + hopefully some with different priorities than you and me... But the volume of guns we have in stock now is affordable stuff.

Recoil is fun!

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jun 12 08 6:07 PM

Your picture of a Beretta cap reminds me of an incident in a Turner's Gun Store a few years back where I compared a Beretta shooting vest and a much cheaper one, and went with the cheaper one.  It looked more practical, and was also a third the price.  A guy standing beside me sneered, "you're going with the no-name vest instead of the Beretta?  You know, you get what you pay for."

I told him, "yes.  And sometimes what you pay for is a brand name."

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jun 12 08 7:44 PM

I have enjoyed following along; trying to teach myself some ''Nordic'' hahaha; Thanks for sharing; and don't stop:)

Next summer, I may have a trip to Scotland/Ireland. Sir, I want to visit. :Smiley Faces

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jun 12 08 7:54 PM

Even if most of the guns are 'affordable' ones, you've invested a good chunk of money in inventory.  I hope they move out the door fast enough to make it all back, and start showing a profit.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help