Lead

Nov 5 06 10:08 PM

Tags : :

This is one of my favorite toys.  It's a CZ 50 from Czechoslovakia, also known as a Vz 50.  They were made throughout the fifties and sixties for police and the Ministry of the Interior.  In 1970 they were given a mostly cosmetic update, and continued being made as CZ 70's up until they were replaced by 9mm Vz 82's.  Mine has the crossed swords on it that mean it was government property, and carried by some sort of government agent.

It shoots .32 ACP (7.65x17 SR), and shoots it very nicely.  An extremely accurate little gun, and very reliable as long as it's fed FMJ rounds.  I tried shooting semi-wadcutters in it once though, and had a failure to feed about every third shot.

It's a pretty simple gun.  double-action, straight blowback design, with an 8-round magazine.  The manual safety has a decocking mode, that drops the hammer from the cocked position.

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Nov 5 06 10:56 PM

ive wanted one of these for a while, the cz70 sells for about $200 localy with holster, yours looks great though, have you had it reblued? im glad to hear that it is accurate and feeds well, although that is to be expected since its a cz (my favorite company)

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 5 06 11:04 PM

ive wanted one of these for a while, the cz70 sells for about $200 localy with holster, yours looks great though, have you had it reblued? im glad to hear that it is accurate and feeds well, although that is to be expected since its a cz (my favorite company)

-squirrelblaster

No, I bought it as-is.  A guy who works in a local sporting goods store had it on consignment for $145.00 FIRM (according to the price tag).  I told the clerk to call him and tell him I was at the store with $120.00 cash in my pocket, and he was there in 15 minutes.  I gather he'd bought some other toy, and was hurting for cash.

It came with the goodies you see in the picture:  holster, magazine case, two magazines, and the soft bag.  And 150 rounds of reloads in a ziplock bag, too.  All the wear was on the holster....looks like it was carried for years. and not even pulled out of the holster and put back enough times to put any holster wear on the bluing.

The first rule of gunfighting is, "have a gun." --Mark Moritz

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 5 06 11:35 PM

It's a very sweet little gun.  Emphasis on the little, though.  I don't have huge hands, and it almost gets lost in mine anyway.

I've seen repeated claims on the internet that they will reliably do 2" groups at 25 yards; that means mine shoots straighter than I can hold it.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Nov 6 06 2:50 AM

dang wish i could get a deal like that troy!

all the ones i see localy are $200 and have lots of wear.........

this has just gone back on my current wish list........

RPK
cz50/70
yugo ak47 with fixed stock.
gp100.....

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 6 06 5:36 AM

Nice look'in toys you got there feller !!! Mind if I borrow them ??? LOL Looks like very concealable pistols too....A.H

-arkansashunter

That little CZ 50 just disappears into a pocket, Mike.  The gun with it in the middle picture is a Tokarev, and it's easier to hide than you might think, because it's flat and thin.  I'll do a post on it somewhere down the line, too.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Nov 11 06 8:48 PM

Don't have a CZ-50, but do have a CZ-70 in .32 ACP. It's a fun gun to shoot. Haven't seen any CZ-50s around here since I don't know when. I'd like to get one someday.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 11 06 9:14 PM

Don't have a CZ-50, but do have a CZ-70 in .32 ACP. It's a fun gun to shoot. Haven't seen any CZ-50s around here since I don't know when. I'd like to get one someday.

-cyrano

Normally, I'm an opportunist.  I don't usually go out looking for specific weapons; I just keep an eye out for something interesting at a good price.  I think I was very lucky with the little CZ-50.

The CZ-70 is just a slightly updated version of the CZ-50.  Oddly enough, my 50 has some of the features of the 70, like the non-glare etching on  top of the slide.  I think it may be a transitional piece; one that they partially rearsenaled.

Some people say the CZ-50's had inferior metals in it, but I've seen no proof of that.  I'm kind of skeptical of the claim; I doubt the Czechs would have been letting poor materials or workmanship out the door for twenty years.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Nov 23 06 4:26 PM

well i just bought a cz70, i acualy went to go buy a remington model 11 shotgun, but it had sold already and i didnt want to come home empty handed!

anyways im really likeing this gun exept for one thing.........the double action is HORRIBLE i looked at maybe 6 of these at the store and picked the one witht he best finish and the best DA but its still very bad.  also i could not get it back together for a second there and was about to panic but just a sec ago it went backtogether just fine so im good.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 23 06 10:58 PM

well i just bought a cz70, i acualy went to go buy a remington model 11 shotgun, but it had sold already and i didnt want to come home empty handed!
anyways im really likeing this gun exept for one thing.........the double action is HORRIBLE i looked at maybe 6 of these at the store and picked the one witht he best finish and the best DA but its still very bad.  also i could not get it back together for a second there and was about to panic but just a sec ago it went backtogether just fine so im good.

-squirrelblaster

There's a bit of a knack to getting them back together.  Once you get the hang of it, it's very easy.

But come to think of it, I have no idea at all how my CZ-50 does in double action.  I've never even tried to fire it that way.  Guess I'll have to, now.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Nov 28 06 8:56 PM

well i went out to my land today to try out my new (to me) cz70, but when i pulled the trigger nothing happened....... im thinkin the firing pin must be broken, becouse everything seems to be in proper order mechanicly.....

anyways..... i know i could take it back... but ive done a lot of buisness with this store, and i know what they will tell me.....they will offer to trade it for one of the other cz70s in the case....but here is the thing i have already looked at ever cz70 in the case when chooseing this one.... and this one is in the best shape.....  so im not sure if i should got trade it for another one..or just order a firing pin and chalk it up as a "crap happens" event.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 28 06 9:42 PM

If you opt for replacing the firing pin (after taking it out and looking at it to make sure it's the trouble, of course...), here's a site I found a while back that seems to have just about every small part you'd need for a CZ-50/70.  I haven't ordered from them myself, though.

http://www.tdwsales.com/page/page/248735.htm

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Nov 28 06 9:45 PM

By the way, they also have 1917 Remington 7.62x54R ammo, in 20-rd boxes for fifty bucks.  Tempting, as a collector's item.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Nov 29 06 8:28 PM

thanks troy,  i ended up talking it in and asking what they could do for me...... it turns out they had some more in the back that looked a bit better... so i ended up tradeing it in for one of those one, at no cost to me of course..... this one is acualy nicer than the one i started with so im happy.

also i just noticed that the holster i got is diffrent from yours, do you like yours as for as how the gun fits in it? mine has the cz symbal on it and fits ok, but not great......

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Nov 30 06 4:51 AM

Sounds like a good resolution.  Assuming the new one shoots properly, of course.....

My holster has no markings on it.  It's a double layer of either very thin split pigskin or good imitation leather sewn together, and it fits the gun almost like it was shrink-fitted to it.  It's been worn almost smooth on the outside, but it isn't scarred up at all.  And the belt loop doesn't look like it ever had a belt through it.  My guess is that someone who didn't expect to use the gun much just carried it in his pocket for years, holster and all.  It also matches the magazine sheath....which interestingly enough, does look like it was carried on a belt.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Dec 5 06 9:20 PM

well took out the new cz70 and wow is this thing accurate! it shot much more accureatly than i expected it to!  unfortunatly it did have some feed issues....  seems to me that either i need a new spring or to polish the feed ramp, or many a bit of both..... was a lot of fun to shoot though.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Dec 6 06 1:59 AM

well took out the new cz70 and wow is this thing accurate! it shot much more accureatly than i expected it to!  unfortunatly it did have some feed issues....  seems to me that either i need a new spring or to polish the feed ramp, or many a bit of both..... was a lot of fun to shoot though.

-squirrelblaster

What were you shooting in it?  I normally shoot FMJ in mine, and it gives me zero feed problems.  But I tried a box of semi-wadcutters, and the flat tips kept hanging up on the edge of the chamber.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help